Claire Lynn Smith
Birth Place:Victoria, TX
Education: The Boston Conservatory of Music
One World Symphony Violinist
1. Are any of your family members musicians? If
so, what do they do?
No. They're all docs and lawyers except for my brother who's a NY actor.
2. What has been the highlight of your One World
Symphony career to date?
I liked playing principal second in Mozart's The Marrige of Figaro.
3. What would you say is your favourite piece
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet Suites. Brahms 1st Symphony.
4. What's the best thing about one world symphony?
The friendships that have developed. The great musicians in the group and spirit of musicianship. Plus, we have put on some really good concerts.
5. What music do you listen to in the car or subway?
Not usually classical actually. Radiohead. Old punk stuff. '80s manchester music. Blondie when she was in her prime. Prodigy. Beastie Boys. Chem. Bros. Björk. Sigur ros. I don't know -- energy raising stuff usually. Classical I reserve for home.
6. What is your favourite drink?
7. When you do have some free time, how do you
Sketch. Practice. Read. Go to art shows.
8. Why do you continue to perform with One World
Symphony when you can perform with other ensembles that would
offer more financial benefits?
I like the people. I have friends in the group. I like the conductor. I like the way everyone comes together to play good music, and has a good time doing it, and feels rewarded in the end for a well performed concert.
9. If you weren't a musician what would you be?
Oh...I don't know. A tired, unfulfilled professional of some sort or another. Or probably a doctor, actually.
10. Why would you recommend to other musicians
and public to participate with one world symphony?
Good music. Good musicians.
11. What are your hobbies?
Reading. Photographs. Sketching. Going to art shows. Indie films.